View Single Post
Old 10-09-2003, 01:01 PM

Default Re: To go pro or not, and where?

Consider these points when deciding whether you should "go pro" before deciding where you should "go pro."

You are young, in a potentially lucrative field with a good degree. I've been there though, and I agree, it can be quite boring and looking at the long run I can see why you are not sure if it's what you want. Consider ditching this job and getting something more flexible. Contract or consulting work with a firm. Don't try to go solo at this point as it is hard to get clients and run a business with little experience.
By getting a more flexible position it opens up more time for you to explore poker as an option, yet still gives you some stability in monthly income.
Please don't consider playing poker as a career until you are ready financially. Unless you prove to be extremely lucky, you will likely go broke if you aren't sufficiently prepared. Then you've been out of the job market for x number of months and potential employers are wondering what you were doing with your life and aren't sure if they want to hire you.
I don't know your full background, but as a 21 year-old who has just entered the job market after college, I can't believe you have a great sum of money. Going "pro" at say the 10/20 level doesn't give you a great income, even if you are a great player. You really should be playing higher than that. I know some people making do at 15/30, but they aren't doing great. 30/60 and above is really where it's at if you want to have an ok income.
Ideally you would get yourself a contract/consulting gig with flexible hours and time commitments and devote the rest of your time to poker. Build up your bankroll while letting the job take care of the bills. Rise through the limits until you are playing 20/40 or 30/60 at a good rate.
At this point you should know if you really want to play poker for a living. If you still feel you want to, then make sure you have at least 1000 times the big bet at your limit. I know you've read all over that you need 300 bets in your bankroll. This is a fine number if you are winning 1 BB per hour and you aren't taking any money out to live on. I strongly suggest a bigger roll for your psyche.

Think on this. You've got 300 times 40 to play in your 20/40 game. That's $12,000. Your monthly nut is say $1500 if you are conservative, but be honest, how much do you want to spend per month? What kind of lifestyle do you want? Chances are you'll want to pull out more than $1500 a month to live on. Even if it's only like $1500 or so, then lets say you go on a losing streak and your $12K has fallen to $8k. Now rent and bills are due and you take out $1.5K. You are down to $6.5K. You are thinking geez, I gotta win. I gotta turn this around. You are fretting a bit and don't play your best. The next month you don't lose, but you only make $1000. You take out your rent and bills again and now you are at $6K. Hopefully things turn around and you build back up, but what if the stress gets to you? What if you can handle the stress but the cards just run bad? Before you know it you've got $4K and you are trying to make a living in 20/40.
By making sure you are financially stable you can avoid some of this. Get rid of any credit card debt, student loans, other loans etc. Get yourself $40,000 before you go pro in that 20/40 game. Now if you hit a bad run it's not going to hurt as much when you still have to pull out that monthly nut. Now your bankroll will be much more likely to grow, than shrink and you can move up through the limits as you get enough money to feel comfortable.