View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 11:59 PM

Default Re: To go pro or not, and where?

<font color="blue">
I may be out of line here, or maybe someone already said this but it sounds like there are a lot of life changing events occuring in your life right now, and picking up your things and moving to become a professional poker player may be a little... too much too fast.

I don't mean to imply your not good enough to do so, its just that because of all those things, you might just need a little time to think. Everyone hates thier jobs (almost everyone) and I'm in the same spot as you, as I wish I could drop out of college (programming - what is it with us and poker?) and go pro but I know that I'm not ready mentally, physically, financially, etc.

Take time to think things through. Don't hop on the first plane to Vegas, if you do I have a feeling you'll be sorely disappointed. Playing in an actual card room once isn't nearly enough experience, imo.

But if you are serious keep studying, practicing (online or IRL) and make sure its what you want to do. Playing online isn't for everyone, you don't have the poker environment. After all your still in your house and the names on the screen aren't really people [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Many people do better at the real tables than online because they can get a better feeling for the game when they are in the actual environment. And your cat isn't jumping on your lap, with the TV blaring when your trying to time your bluffing just right, so PokerStud2003 will fold.

Anyway, I didn't want to discourage you, just make sure you are ready for the change completely. Do you want to move away from home? Are you ok with not having a set steady income? Can you quit the game when your not playing your best, or when you need rest? I'm sure you know all this but I just felt like bringing it up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

</font>