View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 03:53 AM

Default First post! AQs vs KK

Hello all! Been lurking here for a couple months- thought I'd finally get an account and send a hand. Thanks in advance for any advice.

$50 buyin (.25/.50) NL game at UB. Been winning pretty consistently at the $25 for a coule months now, and just moved up.

6-handed game for now. I get AQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG. Raise to $1. Button calls, SB raises to $1.50. I and button call. (Aside: These tiny preflop reraises make me suspicious sometimes, here included- what would you have that doesn't either justify a pot bet or a simple call? Sometimes people will do this with a monster, trying to get in a little more $ and still keep everybody there). BTW, SB seems fairly solid, not too aggressive, and he and I are the biggest stacks with around $75 apiece.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

SB bets $5.

First question: what to do here? This supports my slight preflop suspicions of an overpair. On the other hand, I've seen people make this pot bet with things like JJ or AK, and I guess KQ (or even another AQ) is possible too. The two other board cards seem too small for him to have a low set, given his preflop reraise. My first thought is that I might be behind (aside: any chance I should consider folding? Don't think so, but it crossed my mind), and that if I call he's just going to bet pot again on the turn. I raise to $15 here, planning to fold to a reraise and hoping that if he calls here he'll check to me thereafter, so that I check too and can get to a showdown as cheaply as possible. Additionally, I guess there's also the possibility he could wimp out with KK or AA and fold to the threat of a set, but that seems unlikely. Button folds, and SB does in fact call here. Again, he seems fairly solid, so he's gotta figure AQ for me is pretty likely.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Yay! More outs. He checks, and I do as well. Any reason to bet here? Represent the set? I'm still feeling the overpair vibe. For context, I don't bluff too much, esp. on later streets.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Aha! I win! SB now bets $2, which seems to be a "i've got a good hand, please don't raise" sort of bet. How much should I raise here? In the one previous pot I won between the two of us I made a couple of half-pot bets to suck in more $. I had been trying to change gears, and my thoughts here were to play it as if I had AQo, thought I was lost, and bluffed at the flush draw. So I bet $30 and he thought for a while and folded. Should I be looking at more of a value bet here, say $10 or 15? (The pot at the time was $40 or so. After the hand he said he had KK, which seems reasonable given the betting.)

That should cover it. Thanks again for any advice!

Dan