View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Trying to get better at this

[ QUOTE ]
i don't particularly care for the 7x raise pre-flop either. getting action for this raise is nice with Queens, but it present some difficult decisions if an A or K falls on the flop. you'll also take down the pot without a caller a significant percentage of the time, which is a disappointment.

5x is big enough here, in my opinion, although I'd prefer 4x. You get the benefit of keeping the pot small until you see the flop, but you still encourage a little action for your queens.

Him limping and then calling and then check raising has to be A-x, 55 or 66. Don't let the mistake he made pre-flop turn into a good decision by paying him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the preflop raise is to make loose callers make large mistakes if they choose to call with Ax or Kx. I was confident that nobody was slowplaying a monster here, so I wasn't worried about the checkraise. Whether or not an A or K falls on the flop is beyond my control. My only job at these levels, as I see it, is to force my opponents to make the biggests mistakes they are willing to make on any street.