View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Did I get max value from my nut straight?

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience people trying to blow you off hands VERY rarely bet the same amount as failed to get you to fold last time. It makes no logical sense since if you called $7 into a $20 pot you're bound to call $7 into a $35 pot. I would therefore make the assumption that he has a strong hand,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. Many people make weak continuation bets because they don't want to lose any real money on the hand. I generally interpret those bets to mean, "I have a hand but not too strong... so I'm going to bet enough to let you know I have something and give you a chance to fold, but if you come back at me, I might fold."

Once in awhile you might come into a tricky player who will underbet into an aggressive player fishing for a raise or trying to build the pot while giving you a chance to catch up...

More important to the original post... if you're going to make the call to a one-way straight draw, then you're NOT making your implied odds by allowing him to keep the pot so small. You were only going to hit your straight about 1 in 7 times on the next card. You've got to make $49 off of him (and what's already in the pot) to make this call. You're not going to make this with 2 rounds to go when he's betting so weakly. Unless you know you can go straight for a $30 bet on the river, you should raise now. Note: if you have reason to believe this particular player will call an overbet on the river, then fine. But since I wouldn't assume that, I raise. Furthermore, you are giving him free cards to split the pot or beat you. Get money in now.