View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Getting Pissed Off At Players Hitting On You

[ QUOTE ]
since I am angry now, not later. Any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking for consolation in the “here and now” rather than “the LONG run”?

For what it’s worth, I'll give you an example of a memorable realization that led me to a higher degree of emotional control in poker.

I remember a long time ago I posted (not here) about wanting to wave my cracked pocket aces in the air for the world to see while proclaiming: "I am the best, can't you see that, you douche bag lagtard MORON!" The funniest part was I really meant it!

I think it may have been Gary Carson that replied: “You seem to be suffering from a deep serious psychological problem of some kind.” It took me years to admit it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] , but he was right. Eight years later, I still struggle with humility in various contexts and I’m guessing it never goes away completely. After all, we are only human.

These days… If I ever get the urge to show my aces or some such nonsense (without motive of course)… I just think: Take something from this moment (in the here and now) and use it as a weapon. The only thing I usually come up with is:

Taking solace in concealing information and emotions from my opponents…

If I’m as good as I think I am, what I know and my opponent doesn’t know is beneficial to me, and detrimental to them.

Hope this helps.