View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Playing no limit w/ amateurs

[ QUOTE ]
strange game, and I won money for a while, but got cracked so many times. i raised with 99, preflop, for instance, flop comes Jd 9d 8h, turn comes a Qd, three callers to my bet, and river comes a 4d, someone bets all in with Td2s, another calls with 3s6d, and i fold my set. i was beat on the turn, but he bets all in with a Td high?? this sounds so juicy, yet it WASN'T!!! help!

[/ QUOTE ]

The above hand is a perfect example of the bet large when you are ahead strategy described by Al. You do not say what you did on the flop, but I am going to guess you tried to slow play it based on the fact that the 63o hand was around to see the turn. If I am correct, then you made a mistake. You should have bet perhaps 1.5 times the pot on the flop. Whenyou flop a set in a multi-way hand with a coordinated board you must bet big to protect your hand.

BTW, if I am wrong and you did bet big on the flop, you must be doing something else wrong. It is inconceivable that you would not win all the chips after six hours against players who would call a large bet with 63o on a board of Jd 9d 8h.

Paul