View Single Post
Old 09-19-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Debatable NL hand

My friend Kapt Kangoroo was UTG with AQo. He had just recently sat down at a .25-.50 $50 buy in no limit table and at most had played 2 orbits. He starts this hand with $48.75 and his primary opponent who had also just sat down has $25.

I think playing AQo out of position in a small stakes online no limit game is questionable. I also don't like hands like AJo, KQo, KJo, or QJo. Playing these hands puts you in situations where you are risking large bets when you are only slightly ahead and it is difficult to read your opponent because you are playing online.

Onto the hand.

7 handed. He calls UTG with Ad Qs. The next two players call as well as the small blind and the big blind checks.

5 players.

Pot is $2.50.

Flop is Kd 5s Qd.

Both blinds check and Kapt bets $1. The player on his left calls as does the big blind.

Pot is $5.50.

Turn is the Jh. Kapt bets out $.85. Why? Player on his left raises to $4.00. Big blind folds and he calls. When he called he called an additional $3.15 into a $10.35 pot. What do you put his opponent on on the turn that he is ahead of. And if he is behind what is he drawing to to win? The 2 remaining queens? Aces or Tens? Having the Ad helps but what if the 10d falls on the river. I don't think his opponent is on the flush draw given his play but its not a hand I would rule out and when his opponent bet 2/3 the pot I would start to think I was behind with second pair top kicker. I would be worried about hands like QJ, A10, 910d. I think the call is marginal at best.

River is 10d.

I had suggested that a pot or half pot bet on the river might get his opponent to fold an ace and save him from splitting the pot. So far he has played his hand like he has the flush draw. Betting twice the minimum on the flop and under betting the turn then calling the turn raise. The river semi bluff suggestion is just that a suggestion but I definitely think the best play on the turn was to fold.