View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: I am winning, but I am not a winning player

This play is obviously -EV on this hand, however:

If the professional bluffs regularly (and is capable of bluffing in this situation), then you might consider calling very occasionally.

Considering that the call-off costs you $250, and the pot is $280, you could make a legitemate argument for calling off 280/(250+280) -- roughly *one half* of the time to protect against bluffs. In practice, that's too high -- especially if you have accurate reads, but making 'bad' calls occasionally can have long term benefits.

Consider this from the pro's point of view -- his thought process is now something along the lines of, "this guy called my straight with two pair and sucked me out" so (1)he likes to call so I should bluff less, (2)he likes to call, so I can push legitemate hands more (3) he's making -EV plays so I should stick around.

Consequently, as long as the call here is an abberation rather than the norm, it's not necessarily a bad move. Against players who use bluffing effectively, you're going to have to make 'bad' calls to keep them somewhat honest.