View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: King Yao \"Weighing the Odds\"

Shandrax,

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. However, the way you present your review I think is very misleading and just shows your bias against the book. For example, you say:

[ QUOTE ]
Chapter 13-15
42 pages to cover the play from the flop to the river!

[/ QUOTE ]

The clear implication here is that out of a 250+ page book there is only 42 pages on post-flop play. This is nonsense. There is a great deal of substantive strategic and tactical advice on post-flop play covered in other chapters of the book that preceed and follow these chapters (e.g., the material on the free card play and countering it). If you find this material weak (which I would disagree with) then fine; but there is a lot of substantive ground covered here and to suggest otherwise is just plain wrong.

As much as I personally like the Barry Greenstein book, I felt that it was a fair criticism (that some made) that there was less strategic advice on the play of poker hands in contrast to other aspects of being a poker pro. However, King Yao's book is loaded with content on playing hold 'em.

Personally I found his discussion of river play worth the price of the book alone. I could easily say that about numerous other chapters as well.