View Single Post
Old 09-18-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Excellent Advice. Just One Thing . . .

I love this thread. I too feel the emptiness and worthlessness that my college educational experience taught me. I graduated last spring with an EE degree. The truth is I don't know why I even got the damn degree. I got a job now which is full of the previously discussed guys who have been working this crap for twenty to thirty years. If I end up like that, it would be horrible. I believe the reason I stayed and got my degree was because I found no outs, no other way to make good money other then getting the degree. However, I figured someday I'd think of some great idea and start my own business and what not, so it became sort of a backup plan. Poker more or less is slowly becoming that business idea for me now.

However, I must say that looking back, I am glad I went to college and got my degree for all the non-classroom related issues. Most importantly, I've learned a lot about people. Just witnessing them in the classroom, living with a few of them, seeing the common attitudes and concerns of college students, lets you see the world in a new light.

As I previously said, its nice to have a backup plan as well. College really wasn't tough or anything, it was an easy four years. I've learned so much about people and life through those years. I'm not sure if its because of college or my own unique experiences, but I don't regret it.

I guess in the end, if you find absolutely no value out of college, don't do it. I found bare minimum, and had I discovered poker when I was a freshman or sophomore as opposed to halfway through my senior year, I may have dropped out.

Overall, I guess my point is that there is more value to college than the supposed value of education that you get from class(from which I got none), so I'd recommend staying in.