View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Why do so many people who believe in god refuse to discuss it?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would suggest, though, that discussions about specifics of a religion between religious people and atheists before discussing the “God exists or not” question gets ahead of itself (or is even backwards).

[/ QUOTE ]

While this sounds good in practice, I'm not too sure how much people are willing to defend or advocate "general" theism rather than their specific theistic worldview. To me, "theism" is much closer to atheism than it is to Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, I agree with you. Or I should say, I agree with what I think you are saying. Theism and atheism are close. Both take a stance and both are based on Faith. Theist, faith in a God. Atheist, faith that there is no god.

At the same time you seem to be unintentionally making one of my points. That those who want to discuss these things like to throw digs at religions. Your Christianity comparison sounds like a jab. If I read too much into it and it was meant only literally as written, then ignore this paragraph. If meant only as written then, too, I get your point, not conceding to it, but understand what you are saying.