View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: what can I learn at the micro level???

[ QUOTE ]
I've been reading Weighing the Odds and the Miller/Malmuth book on limit poker, and playing the 10./20. limit games due to my small starting bankroll.

However, I can't put anybody on a hand at this level because they play everything. I feel like all that I'm reading takes for granted that my opponents have half a brain for the game, which they don't seem to at this level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if your opponents have no standards then you can indeed put them on a hand...a bad one. Miller's book is written for this situation. You play better than average hands against opponents who play average and worse hands you will make money over time.

I have played a fair number of hands at the .05/.10 level and I've found that while players will start with anything and everything at these levels, they tend to play pretty straightforward from the flop on. If they are betting strong (this means betting out or raising) when it looks like they would have to be playing 83o, well they probably entered the pot with 83o. Otherwise they tend to check/call/muck.

[ QUOTE ]

How can I become a better player at this level? If not this level, where do I need to start?? Thanks kindly for any advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Figure out how to beat this level. If you can't beat a game when your opponents don't have half a brain, why do you think you can beat a game when your opponents have three-quarters of a brain or more?

That said, you will experience many bad beats to that 83o cold calling your pocket aces and flopping two pair on his way to a boat. But, this is more than made up for when that same guy bets and raises his raggedy two pair against your set of aces (or even trips aces) all the way to the river.