View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: ($215)- archived [wchen] hand A J

[ QUOTE ]
olu,

the hand and thread you brought up from the archives is quite a good one. i believe that wchen's play here is pretty bad, as has been pointed out by other posters.

however, i don't understand why you insist on bringing other unrelated hands into every discussion you enter. particularly, you bring up the Q3 hand about once per thread you start/enter.

my advice honestly is to stop trying to figure out that one hand, just let it go. understanding or believing you understand that one hand is not going to help you in any way to be a better poker player relative to the amount you could improve other parts of your game spending the time in other ways. it is far more likely i think that you become a worse poker player by trying to understand, let alone incorporate, such ideas into your day to day play.

please don't feel that i mean to be insulting here at all. you genuinely do bring up interesting hands and topics, and clearly do do a fair amount of reading in the archives and such, i just think you simultaneously get sidetracked or hooked on certain topics that in the long and short term hinder your growth as a player.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

the point of bring up Gig's Q 3 hand was due in part to it repeatedly being said/implied in this thread that Gig's play, although extreme, is given more credit because he make valid points in his explaination and is based on sound/logical play.

curtains hits it right on the head when he says a person reading that kind of example for the first time will be confused. if you wanna preach a theory based on stack sizes and blocks when it deals with taking -EV situations, his Q 3 hand, IMHO, is the wrong hand to use as an example and clearly sent the wrong message.

*citanul, remember all the copycat hands that sprang up after that by lower level players?*

also, you seem to be under the impression that i am somehow becoming a bad player by trying to understand this hand, thus incorporating ideas like it in my day to day play. this isn't the first time you've jumped to conclusions. i've had to set you straight on this same subject before. i am a $5.50 and $11 player. true, i love to read alot of higher buy-in posted hands more than i do lower buy-in ones, mostly in part, because i feel i'm more advanced in my thinking about the game than most players at my level. however, i do not try to incorporate too much, if any, of what i read and learn from advanced players in my games against numbskulls.