View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Be My Waterwings

Play at least 10,000 hands of 1-2 or 2-4 before moving up. I can't stress this enough. If you only log a thousand hands of 2-4 and think you understand it, then you'll move up to 3-6 or 5-10 and constantly encounter marginal situations you haven't had the experience to play correctly. Which means high variance. I know a "safe" bankroll here is 300 BB but very few of the posters I've read play with anything less than 500 BB. I play 2-4 and was very uncomfortable when my bankroll dipped to 400 BB for a while.

I started with a weekly no limit cash game at a friend's house. That led me to learn how to make really good reads. I still pride myself on my reads. That being said, you MUST NOT make those big river laydowns that are so crucial to expert no limit play. You'll find that few of your medium strength holdings are worth folding for 1 BB in a monster pot. (I made a few awful laydowns with QQ on the river before figuring this out.)

Also, with NL, you're probably not used to counting your weak outs such as backdoor straights, flushes and bottom pair. It's really important to value these correctly in limit. To save yourself the math, you might want to work up a quick pot-odds chart until you have the odds memorized for drawing to a 3-outer.

Good luck. I used to think limit was horribly dull - now I can't even imagine spending all that time playing NL again.

Sidenote: You from the University of Oregon, or is that a different UO?