View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Be My Waterwings

In hopes of avoiding flaming, I'm going to preface this by saying I spent 10 minutes on the search function before posting.

So here's the deal. I'm going to start playing limit. And for places to start, I can't think of a better one but here.

Right now I've logged almost 100k hands on pt through various NL levels. Even after withdrawing for non-poker reasons, I've built a bankroll of 500 into almost 3k which I've committed to poker. I've been playing seriously for nine months. Through that time I went from 25nl to 100nl; where I play now. I had a good ptbb/100 for every level, though it's number decreased after each higher stake. I try not to invest too much into stats especially because variance as it is, I could just have been running well. What I do take to heart is the different thought process that goes through my mind during a no-limit hand. This is where I see my biggest improvements over time. I can read my own posts and not be embarassed. I've learned a lot from these forums as well as from books. I'm happy with how I play no-limit poker, though not perfect i have my fair share of leaks, but overall I'm solid and headed in the right direction. I used to have a goal to continually improve until i could one day battle with the goliaths at the 1000 game.

Times have changed. Though I'm doing relatively well at the NL100 game and beating it, I'm just a little tired of it. I'll probably go back, but not right now. So I'm going to play limit. Pretty much change for the sake of change. I've liked the idea of playing a game more based on lots of smaller decisions rather than big ones, It seems multi-tabling is much easier at limit, and PT is more useful as well. Finally, I watched a friend playing a good 5/10 game and was sold. ATM's for everyone.

So there is a point to this incessant self-serving ramble. The question is what would you say to a complete newbie. Not a newbie to poker, but a newbie to limit. What's my biggest, hardest adaptation? What kind of bankroll do I need? What levels should I start at? To those experienced; what advice would you have given yourself when you started playing? What did you have to learn the hard way? To those newer, What are you struggling with now? I'm ready to dive into this, but I don't want to sink. So please, be my waterwings