View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: A prejudice and Discrimination poll

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, but it is a discrimination question either way.

Regards
Brad S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Discrimination is defined a lot of diffent ways. The trouble is, people like to substitute these definitions a lot.

I suspect that is what you would believe me to be doing here if I just got smarty-pants and posted a dictionary definition like

[ QUOTE ]
To discriminate is to make a distinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

or

[ QUOTE ]
the cognitive process whereby two or more stimuli are distinguished

[/ QUOTE ]

or

[ QUOTE ]
The illegal treatment of a person or a group of persons based on a prohibited factor. Prohibited factors include race, national origin, color, citizenship, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or veteran status.

[/ QUOTE ]

...looks like my poll is dealing with 'prohibited factors'...

still, you would be right to come back with another definition like

[ QUOTE ]
unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice

[/ QUOTE ]

which in a way, this poll is not

This gets us nowhere however. The point I am trying to make is that a lot of the more extreme racial positions people take may also be grounded in statistical information which I guess would make more extreme racist actions also merely questions of probability.

It hardly seems as obvious as you think it is or there wouldn't be all these differing definitions in the first place.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

but your not distinguishing or making distinctions in your poll. you are saying choose a or b given probabilities, this isnt the same as making generalizing distinctions between groups a and b