Thread: Evolution #9
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Evolution #9

[ QUOTE ]
I understood evolution to be basically about natural selection, like you all have said. I guess I assumed (hoped) there was more to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll make one slightly offtopic point here. Why did you hope that there was more to evolution than natural selection?

It seems to me to be an incredibly satisfying picture of the Universe that this one, incredibly simple principle -- 'Natural Selection' -- can give rise to humans, jellyfish, venus flytraps, clams and the rest of the weird and amazing life that exists in the Universe.

The Universe is seriously pretty damn cool.

[ QUOTE ]

If it is only that, then since we have evolved into beings that basically have the ability to survive viz a viz other predatory species then why aren’t we done evolving?

[/ QUOTE ]

The tiger on the African plains has no predators but it still evolves. Why? (two reasons: its prey keeps evolving so it must keep up, also it is in competition with other tigers)

[ QUOTE ]

I understand evolution to be a never ending process. In fact just this evening on the news, scientists at the U of Chicago (fairly sure it was there) think the human brains are still evolving. If we are still evolving then for what reason? Seems we haven't stopped evolving.

[/ QUOTE ]

See answer to last question. Also you ask for a 'reason' that we are still evolving. Natural selection doesn't need a reason, it can never stop. The fittest will always survive.

[ QUOTE ]

Besides, I find it hard to believe that human evolution has ended. How can it just stop after billions of years?

[/ QUOTE ]

It hasn't....

[ QUOTE ]

Also, why did we evolve into being with emotions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. This is a question that a lot of researchers thing deeply about today and nobody knows the definitive answer to.

[ QUOTE ]

I will do your recommended google search, but really I was thinking more in terms of steering evolution through thought process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand what you mean by 'steering evolution through thought process'