View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Regarding Jek\'s/BW\'s break-even points for BBJ (long)

[ QUOTE ]
On the following tables there is NO JACKPOT and a very simple rake-structure of $1 when the pot is large enough:

At 2/4 you have 60% of the hands raked exactly $1.
At 15/30 you have 80% of the hands raked exactly $1.

Which table does the rake of a greater impact?

[/ QUOTE ]

As in online poker, slots, etc. the % raked is smaller as you move up in stakes. You will pay more money in rake/vig at higher level, but the percentage is less.

The reason people play the lower limits is they can't afford to lose an amount needed to play there and/or they are not skilled enough to beat the skill level.

If someone offered me a one in 20 chance to wager my house to win $10 million, although obviously +EV, I would never be able to do.

This game is very hard to beat you would have to agree, being a loser 95% of the time.

I think this can be compared to a NL tournament. If you have a 52% chance of doubling up (risking all your chips), it is not always correct to take this bet. +EV is purely a mathematical concept.

[ QUOTE ]

Looking at it again:

At 2/4 you have a rake of $6 on 60% of the hands.
At 15/30 you have a rake of $6 on 80% of the hands.

I think this clears up the answer a bit...because clearly the 2/4 game is virtually unbeatable, while one would STILL be able to break-even on the 15/30 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a number that makes it +EV, although it is alot higher than the BBJ we are discussing.

At $2/$4 you need less of a jackpot to be +EV. It absolutely has no bearing on you being able to walk away a winner more often.

Take 100 hands at each:

$2/$4 you pay $360 towards the jackpot
$15/$30 you pay $480 towards the jackpot

A skilled player would have an easier time making the $480 at the higher level back than $360 at the lower level, but think of the people who lose.

Are they going to feel the same way?

Would your rather spend $360 to win a large jackpot or $480 to win this same jackpot?

As in my betting the house example, +EV does not need to mean ability to walk away a winner most of the time.

You have the ability to beat $15/$30 it seems and is probably +EV to you but not the average person. The pursuit of the jackpot does not factor into this by the way.

It is an interesting concept