View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Re: What\'s the standard play with top pair middle kicker situations?

Just talking about this tonight with someone...

I def. think the flop IS the place to "get'r done". But leading from the blinds on this "draw friendly" flop isn't going to define your hand very well. Check/calling isn't too bad, except you'll likely face a larger check/call on the turn when the other "non-nuttinTP, MP, whatever" is getting tired of you "chasing your flush".

On a draw flop like this, I'd rather look to check/raise the flop...assuming you get a weak probe kinda lead (folding to a reraise, or to a sizable lead w/o any blood lost). I think you'll get a little more respect from your position with this line. It's just too difficult to proceed on the turn without gaining any info. If you get called? Hmmmmm. Pushing the turn isn't too bad in many cases. But this early, I'd just put on the breaks, looking to ditch a failed flop effort w/ a hand that wasn't all that great to begin with.

On a non-drawing flop, I do like the lead. Given a little more credit for a hand, you'll have a little more control over the pot size when you proceed to the turn. .