View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Can I win at Holdem?

I rarely if ever play holdem, I have played 400 hours of play chip nl holdem, but that was when I was learning poker and I didn’t want to play for cash. As far as real holdem cash games, I have only played a few times, but not anything you can even consider consistent. People keep telling me, "man holdem is easy money!”; “Every donkey is playing it right now anyone can make money".

I didn’t play holdem for cash consistently because the few times I played for pennies I lost, I don’t know why, I had read a few books and understood the basic concepts, but I seemed to always lose, lets just say I didn’t start off with a bang. This made it annoying and since I was starting off in poker it really made me dislike the game. Well I played PL High Low and I still do, that’s where I win my money, I have been playing profitably for about 6 months and am changing my game consistently I just get the game for some reason it just makes sense, some of my old poker buddies kept telling me I was very aggressive when they saw me play. Then for a week I decided to play nothing, but PL Omaha High because I figured that’s played live maybe a small game can get going when I visit Las Vegas in August(family vacation), just wanted to have something to play. When I started playing Pot Limit Omaha High and at first I broke even, but at about the 4k mark something clicked, don’t know if I can describe it, but I became ultra aggressive and my game changed even more than before. I also started winning more than ever not just in PL Omaha High, but also PL High Low.

Well I decided to go back to holdem because I am going to Las Vegas in December (College friends are going) and because I want to be able to play live, but I don’t know if I can win. Can I win? I played 25 NL the other day and it was different I just kept stealing pots and pushing people off hands. It was not like before when I would be just tight and never bet unless I had the stone cold nuts. But still somehow I don’t buy it, I don’t know I just doubt I can win at holdem, I don’t know why.

That’s the problem, I just can’t get over the fact that the few times I played when I was starting out I lost, about 50 bucks at holdem online and about 100 offline. It just some sort of psychological thing or something, it’s in my head I know, but I can’t get over it somehow, I don’t know where to go from here. This psychological thing just annoys me, it’s like I am afraid to play holdem, I don’t know how to get over it. Any comments would be of great help.