View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Standard Deviation Question, How to do it?

These numbers are just data points of the percent of my finish.

Place Finished
--------------
Total Entrants

This was done in an attempt to normalize the data because the number of entrants is variable, although it's generaly about 2,000.

I simply want to gain some insight into my performance, whatever might be the best metric.

[ QUOTE ]

A power distribution is a common model, and easy to use. You assume that the probability of fraction X or less of the players finishing ahead of you is X^a for some a. Using your data suggests a = 0.2894. This imples a 67% chance of finishing in the top quarter, 82% chance of finishing in the top half and 92% chance of finishing in the top three-quarters. Of course given only four tournaments and the arbitrary model, I wouldn't put a lot of weight on these statistics.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right to me but my instant problem is I can't determine your value, a, unless I can determine x.

What I can gained from your post is for the data points:

finished at percent 4, 15, 33, 47

there exists some power distribution function, x, where the quadrant (or other segmentation) is x ^ a.

So I attempted to calculate the upper quarter.

- = x ^ a

and x is unknown to me and therefore a is unknown.

Did I miss something or is there a better suggestion?
Statistics is not my "strong suit", unfortunately it is not the type of math I have been doing.