View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Chronicles of Narnia

What a coincidence. I just finished re-reading the series. The first time was about 30 years ago. I decided to read them again for various reasons, the main one being I recently became interested in Harry Potter, and thought I detected some influence in that series from both Tolkien and Lewis. I decided to read one Potter then one Lewis. Interesting experience. I didn't need to re-read Tolkien because I've read the trilogy at least three times and seen the movies twice.

I would be glad to discuss them in a thread. FWIW, I don't think it matters what order you read them, though I did begin with LW&W.

Also, FWIW, I did some brief research on Rowling. It turns out she has read Narnia many times and decided to write 7 Potters because there are 7 Narnia books. I found some critics who think there is a lot of Christian symbolism in Potter but I think they're reading that into the stories. There are a lot of Christian values in the books but I think you can read them without any clue they were written by a Christian. Not so with Lewis (his sf trilogy is also well worth reading), though I don't find much Christian symbolism in Tolkien either.