View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: ? @ Atlantapokerclub.com/kickasspoker.com

If you are playing for cash, I don't think there's anyway to make your floating games legal, although I don't know the laws of your state.

I do know some guys who started a poker business in NC running tourneys in bars. They have a great set-up and their company is formal enough to have been incorporated. (And, for what its worth, the money beats the hell out of playing poker for a living).

They had games going in multiple cities. The original idea was that the entry was free, there would be a three month or so season, each weekly tourney at a bar the the top few places would get some gift certificate amount at the bar. At the end of the season the champs from each bar would play a tourney and the winner of that would get a seat to the WSOP.

That plan changed when they got busted in one county. The DA there ended up dismissing the charges but apparently threatened to keep busting the games if they kept having them.

The company eliminated all prizes from their tourneys so now the are completely free and only for bragging rights.

However, there were still threatenening noises from law enforcement agencies including the threat of pulling liquor license from bars that hosted these free tourneys.

The company has sued five different law enforcement agencies. And I don't blame them, because if wagerless, prizeless poker is illegal, so is monopoly, and boy would I hate to be busted for playing monopoly.

--Zetack