View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Correction

Sorry. I incorrectly reported my NOK return. I have three accounts. One cash, one traditional IRA, and one Roth IRA, so it is a bit confusing to parse out all the different trades.

And I made the mistake of comparing the total account balance for 7/04 with the total account balance for 7/05. It is true that from that period the balance went from 107K to 160K. But that is not the correct return for NOK only.

I actually started buying in April 04, so the holding period was more like 1 year 3 months. And I started buying NOK at 17, 16, 15, 14, and 13. It kept dropping, so that initially I was losing money on my initial buys and praying that it would recover. Luckily I initially made small purchases after it dropped from 23.

In any event, my account initially had 120K and DROPPED to 107K, before slowly recovering to 160K. So the real total increase is only about 40K or about 30% over 15 months.

Adjusting to a 12 month return, the return was about 27% according to the gain loss calculator which Ameritrade provides.

Sorry about that.

Anyway the point is that it is possible to make more than 6% a year on the stock market.

Though it is also possible to lose your ass (I mean your donkey).

By comparison, my cash account went up only 6% because I lost a lot of money trying to short CFC and buying puts in CFC, which proceeded to go up. No thanks to Adios.

And my ROTH IRA account went up about 16.7%, but as there is only about 15K in that, it's a nice return, but doesn't really change the weather in terms of early retirement.