Thread: More Propaganda
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2003, 06:37 PM

Default Re: What\'s the use in tryin\'

brad, it's NOT RHETORIC, there are HUGE DIFFERENCES between PESTICIDES and HERBICIDES.

When I looked up "Roundup" on Google as per your suggestion, I saw that it was an HERBICIDE--it is sprayed on crops to kill the weeds around them. The GM Soy discussed was resistant to this: in other words, engineered so they could spray more Roundup around it to kill the weeds nearby. Fine. I wasn't arguing that point, and it was in fact news to me. Thanks for the heads-up.

Another thing however is GM crops which are designed to be insect-resistant. They are designed specifically to need less pesticides sprayed on them: they aren't as vulnerable to being eaten by insects in the first place. Whether they spray Roundup on them too is another question to which I don't know the answer.

But PESTICIDES vs. HERBICIDEs isn't RHETORIC: if you think they are why don't you try killing insects with Miracle-Gro or making your garden grow with pesticides...it just doesn't work that way;-)

I'm just trying to help clarify. The Google article talked about Roundup being an herbicide, and that doesn't in any way controvert my statement that some GM crops are designed to be insect-resistant. And the less vulnerable certain crops are to insects, the less need there is to spray them with pesticides. That's why they are designing iinsect-resistant crops: more of the crop will survive the depredations of insects, with less cost of pesticides along the way, resulting in a higher final yield at harvest time at a lower total cost. Killing weeds in the crop fields and dealing with insect attacks on the crops are two entirely different subjects.