View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: How do you know if your good enough to beat a limit?

Don't do what I did:

I worked my ass off to get the 300bb necessary to move up to 5/10 6-handed, and was very confident about making the jump. My first night -- my first 90 minutes -- I won $700, just like that.

The next week or so, I battled at the same game, but got frustrated that I couldn't get that same big win. As a remedy, I forced pretty much every halfway decent hand I had, and would bet it the whole way.

In no time at all, it seemed every 5/10 player had caught on and was slowplaying very marginal hands (like second pair), then raising for value on the river.

This put me on tilt, and I lost about $1600 in 36 hours because I couldn't stomach the "small" pots in 3/6, and kept telling myself I needed just one big night at 5/10 to get back. I almost lost my whole roll, and still haven't recovered. I'm now playing 2/4 10-handed and am slowly climbing back.

You sound like a much smarter player than I was, so you'll likely stay out of this trouble. Just take this as advice from a guy who blew a new laptop's worth of money because he fell in love with the bigger pots at 5/10.

But, as you said, 5/10 is probably as beatable as 3/6. Just make sure you play the same game that got you there, and make sure you're able to take a small step back if needed.

Good luck, though. I hope to see you up there in 6-8 months.