Thread: cash goals
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: cash goals

My advice is that instead of focusing on the very short term (next 20 hours), you work on developing your game so that at some point in the future you can make 800 or whatever for every twenty hours of play.

I don't know if you're into ring games or tournaments, limit or pot-limit or no-limit. Whatever your game is make sure you take the time to learn it PROPERLY and more importantly practice good bankroll management. With a BR of 130, I think the highest limit ring game you should be playing is .5/1 for example. I have no idea what the equivalent is in NL or tourneys.

Finally, although it sounds contradictory at first, don't focus on making money per se as you start out. Think of poker as any other game where instead of accumulating points for getting lucky and playing well, instead you're accumulating dollars. The point of playing, at first, is to learn HOW to play well and to have fun in the process. Thinking of it as a way to make short-term money through bonus whoring/running good causes you to develop prematurely as a player, if not outright losing your entire bankroll when you find yourself out of your league.

best of luck.

hizo