View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003, 07:39 PM

Default Re: 20-40 stud, call or fold?

I, too, would have completed with split queens. I'm happy to win just the antes and bring-in with this hand. I'm also happy to win them with split kings. All too often some bullshit happens like somebody making open aces at 5th.

Once you limp, though, and the ace completes, you have to raise. It's just not likely that he has aces. Think--the only people in the pot are the bring-in and a guy who limped with a queen. Why would split aces raise here? Aces are the only premium pair I will slowplay because they absolutely dominate smaller pairs. Does he really stand to make more by completing rather than just limping? If he limps he will likely be heads up with you, as the bring-in almost always folds to a bet at 4th.

I put the guy on a concealed pair, a 3-flush or a hand as weak as (9 T) A. If he 3-bets, now I think maybe he does have aces. I'm still not entirely convinced, though. In my games people will do this with something like (T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I may raise him on 4th if he catches a brick and see what he does then.

The problem with calling is you don't know where you're at. When you factor in the possibility that you have the best hand, it's a clear raise.