View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Microlimit VS. NL sng

Background: I picked up Ed Miller's Getting Started in Hold 'Em earlier this year, hoping to do a little better at my friend's monthly tournament. With a little reading and some practice on simulators, I've really picked up a lot... started placing in the money even. Got my hands on HOH: 1... great book, fun read, but it made me realize that I need start playing on line in order to play enough hands to make some progress.

Reading this forum, it seems like most people start out playing limit games appropriate in size to their bankroll. I'm reading Small Stakes Hold'em and I've been trying out some limit games, but I'm not really enjoying it. I've played some $5 sit-n-gos and they're more my speed. The tournaments give me more time to get a read on my opponent's play (players aren't popping in and out) and I have a better feel for when to play conservatively and when to play agressively. With solid play, it doesn't seem too hard to place in the money at that level, often 3-5 players are eliminated early, going all-in with relatively weak hands. And frankly, for me, tournament play is just plain more fun.

Here's my question, are there any specific reasons why beginners should play microlimit games? Am I making a mistake if I move to playing mostly sit-n-gos?