View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Discipline and read-based laydowns

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to have very rigidly placed your opponent on one of two hands, while in reality he will have some other hand a decent amount of the time. He will have T9s, KcTc, or some other random hand some percentage of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, let me say I have previously read your articles and thought they were very informative.

Being rigid in putting my opponents isn't exactly a habit of mine, and I ran through a full range before narrowing it to the two mentioned. I've never seen this opponent push a draw, whether in position or OOP, no matter how strong, in a couple thousand hands. He seems to be the type who wants to get his money in NOW with a monster, and is more than content to call/check-call with the rest of his hands. AA-QQ is in his small range of PF raising hands. AQ/KQ? He might have bet into me with them, but there's no chance he's 3-betting me. T9s? Not him, not UTG. I actually thought QJs might have even been a stretch for him, but thought better of it. This may still seem a bit rigid to you, but this was a pretty predictable player.

I'm sure this is the process of putting an opponent on a range of hands that you referred to in your post. Truthfully, I didn't feel like typing it out, and maybe I was wrong to believe it wasn't necessary to do so. As far as divorcing the need for showdown goes, I don't think I have much of a problem there, save for a few spots. I usually don't have a problem getting away when beat; it's just those few times when it's plainly obvious I need to fold and don't that really frustrate me.

As far as working to improve my game, I did mention that my hand reading has improved, and drastically so, and I'd like to think it's not due to a lazy approach to my game.

Thanks for the advice/input.