View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: how much would you pay to have a pro look at your summary?

[ QUOTE ]
while i'm sure you can find someone to look over a game or two for free, this statement below is pretty silly. to a pro, they play their hours they make their money, the concept of taking a cut in pay/hour to get a gauranteed rate (probably a big cut) just doesn't make much sense.

then again, 1800gambler made a post about this once i think. my main thinking on the subject is that if someone has some hourly rate for playing, that is their expected return for the next hour, plain and simple.
[ QUOTE ]
this is guaranteed income and believe that should change the rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
With all respect, your refutation of the statement above is silly. I remember 1800Gambler's poll very well. 50% of respondents said they'd give up 10% or less of EV in exchanged for a guaranteed winrate. IMO, the results of that poll indicated that a lot of advanced poker players play below their optimal stakes or that they are dilettantes when it comes to risk taking in general. I lean towards the latter.

A poker player should be willing to exchange his winnings for a guranteed income of (EV-Variance/2R), where R describes his risk tolerance. For a blackjack counter who optimized the stakes that he plays for, Variance/EV=R, and so a blackjack counter should give 50% of EV in excange for a flat rate. For a poker player who optimized the stakes, Variance/EV=m*R, where m is usually somewhere between 0.4 and 0.8, so he should be willing to part with 20-40% of his winrate depending on how comfortable he is at a given level.