View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Re: General stud questions

If it looks like it's going to be a heads-up pot, then you don't want to be taking small three-flushes up against big pairs. In a multi-way pot, though, I'll take a small, live three-flush over a big pair, because it's going to be a lot easier to play the rest of the hand.

On your Jacks vs. Kings hand, you probably should have mucked vs. this particular opponent. You want to be careful about making this type of fold, though, because observant opponents will run you over.

I'll play one-gappers down to about (J9)8 if the game conditions are right, and even lower if I'm last to act. I hate straight draws, though. Small pairs are worth limping in with if you are against people who will pay you off all the way if you hit your door card. They are especially worthwhile to limp in with if you are against opponents who will check along on fourth and fifth street. I don't imagine that you'll find too many games $15/30 and up that meet this criteria, though.

I have never played in California, but around here, stud players tend to be more passive than hold'em players. There just aren't many stud games at the middle limits, though. On the east coast, where there are a lot more stud games, there are more aggressive players even in the lower-limit stud games, from my limited experience.

I play in play money games while I'm doing other things on-line. Typically, I'll be reading this board, looking at eBay, and catching up on email while I have a game going on in the background. I don't think I could ever just sit and play poker on-line, which is part of why I don't play for real money on-line. Actually, I occasionally run into a reasonable opponent playing heads-up hold'em on Paradise.