View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Re: why do i keep going out early? something wrong or unlucky?

It's the nature of the beast. The very large multi player touneys will have several "shot takers". Folks trying to double up now and fast.

You played KK fine and ran into a suckout. More often than not you will run into a painful suckout in these tourneys. The trick is to have enough chips to absorb the bad beats which means you will inflict some pain to others as well.

Whenever I have done well in one of these things (no limit) it is because I got off to a good start and could at least cover the stack(s) I was up against. In this same tourney ($20 stars monday) for example I knocked out a guy who had pocket AA with my pocket QQ but I had him covered 4 to 1. Bad beat for him? Sure! But that's what happens in these things. I got brutally knocked out myself at the last table. I'm in big blind with shortish stack (about 30K) and it's folded around the SB who has me covered about 3 to 1. He raised about 12K and I went all in with Ah Jh figuring it was a pure steal. He called and flipped up 9s 4s. Flop and turn were blanks but the river was a 9 and I was gone.

The key is getting into position to cover the other stacks because then the bad beats and suckouts won't end your day. Throughout the night I was involved in several all in confrontations in which I made some suckouts and got sucked out on. But the only one that hurt was the one I didn't have covered.