View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Ethics of Datamining

I dont use pokertracker, though i will be buying it in sept or so when i go back to uni.

I dont mind people datamining games they are in. I can live with people datamining games they are observing, though obviously id prefer it wasnt common knowledge amongst the fish - if PT, PV, PP and PE (and many of PXs you could imagine, along with GT [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) were ran as a story in say the NY times (which if im not mistaken now has a poker column) then the online poker industry would take quite a hit.

Its ok for people to go online and gamble, knowing they will lose. But when people are trading data amongst each other as well, its become quite a tinderbox. If the story is ran, that is the spark required.

This is currently a problem limited to party and skins, and if it blows up ill welcome the fish to the sites i play, but id kinda prefer it if it didnt.

People ask when the online poker bubble will burst. I think the first pop will be caused by these software aids (poker bots can be thrown in there with them). It will take some good PR from pokerstars (to name just one) to convince people that when they are playing online their, they are only playing people, not people with aides and not people with pokerbots.

-----

So basicly, meh if your observing and burn in hell if your trading the data with others.

Phill