View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 02:50 AM

Default First 230 109s 8-tabling

After moving up from the 50s after approximately 2k 55s at 17% ROI, I decided to jump up to the 109s. I started out 8-tabling them, as I had been doing the 55s. After 230, I'm at a measly 2.9% ROI. Some thoughts on the 109s:

- Play is much more solid- not great, but solid.
- There are some very good players that you wont find at the 55s that can definitely reduce your edge.
- Play is a little tighter, with many fewer complete donks.
- The swings can be baaaad.... I was up $2500 afeter 125 games, and following a 20 OOTM streak (aaaarrrgggg), I've just begun to rebuild.
- Heads up play is much more difficult, IMO- I went from having 15% 1sts to only 9.6% 1sts in my jump. Granted, my sample size is small, but I have definitely had a tough time HU (IMO, im really not a bad heads up player)
- I have definitely seen a difference between play at different times of day. The 109s seem very difficult during the daytime and in the early morning, while at night they seem much more beatable. ( Mr ROI during the afternoon is -35% and during the early morning -17%, while during dinner it is 30% and in the evening it is 7.6%).

Some things I need to work on:

1. Overagression near the bubble.
2. A little bit of fancy play syndrome, especially early.
3. Staying away from trouble with the bigstack: I've had a couple of heartbreaking beats (some bad, some legit.) with the bigstack on the bubble or ITM with microstacks. i.e. I would push into another bigstack with junk on the bubble when I had him covered, only to find him calling with decent hands and taking me out.
4. Another thing is that as the bigstack, I often let people back in with over-ambitious attempts to control the table or steal blinds. I need to recognize those situations when marginally EV+ pushes might not be the best choice.

Anyways, when I moved up, I decided that I would allow myself to drop $2k in my attempt at the 109s before down. Hopefully, and probably, that won't happen.

-Jess