View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Blind stealing basics: when you are called

[ QUOTE ]
I'm somewhat new to no limit (been a limit player for 15 yrs). All I have to say is now I find limit to be extremely boring now and don't know if I'll ever go back....

"once you go black you don't go back"
"once you go asian you never go caucasian"
"once you go no-limit you never go limit" ?? LOL

Anyway here's the hand in question... Help / advice to this no-limit newbie is greatly appreciated.

I was in a multitable tourny yesterday, bubble approaching, blinds 1000 / 2000, just got moved to this table so I have no table image and everyone is an unknown.

8 players. On the button w/ about 27,000 in chips, everyone folded to me, I raised w/ 97o to about 6000. Both blinds have about 80,000 in front of them.

1) Do you steal here? Does their large stack size make it less of an option? Hand too weak?

BB calls. Flop comes Q9x rainbow. Check to me.

2) Do I bet here? (A check-raise would be a disaster). I have mid pair w/ no kicker. So I bet 10,000 into a ~13,000 pot.

3) Did I bet too much?

BB check-raises all in. Now what? He's likely got AQ, KQ, or slow playing an overpair, doubt this is a complete bluff. Fold leaves me w/ 11,000 in chips.

4) Fold or call and why?

Any advice is appreciated!

[/ QUOTE ]

1) wouldn't steal against a big stack here. you're new to the table and have no reads. wait a round and see what type of players you're up against before you go make a move.

2) you have to bet. you're probably ahead.

3)not sure. ordinarily, I'd say bet 8 or 9 thousand, but you're obligated to call if he plays back, so maybe you should just push.

4) call and hope to catch one of your 5 outs. You're getting about 4:1, which is a little less than the odds you would ordinarily need, but if you fold, you're going to be dangerously short-stacked.