View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Martial arts question: Spinoff from \"terrible way to lose a fight\"

Sure, body type and just personal psychological temperament can have a lot to do with what style you should concentrate most on.

That's kind of important, because even if there were some supercomputer to determine some best style, if you didn't feel it fit you, you'd probably just stop showing up or training in it after a while. So even a less than "ideal" style, whatever that might mean, could still be the best for you if it just feels right, and an ideal style will never be one you don't fee a certain affinity for.

Tall people have a natural advantage fighting on the outside, using their reach and the leverage of their long limbs to max advantage. Northern Chinese styles, White Crane, and Tae Kwon Do are ideal for them. Short people have a natural advantage on the inside and don't have much reach, so styles that concentrate on inside work are ideal for them. Wing Chun, White Eyebrow, jiu-jitsu, monkey style, wrestling, boxing, and Preying Mantis are natural styles for them. Especially young and strong people are naturals for tiger style and hung gar, and slighter or older people are more naturally suited for Wing Chun or Tai Chi.

I'm 6'2" myself, and my first real training was in jiu-jitsu. I'd recommend anybody who is really interested in martial arts as a lifelong interest start there or in judo, as learning to fall is helpful in any sport or any style, and just in life in general, and also because it's all about leverage and understanding vulnerabilities in balance and how the joints work. It's like a basic anatomy course and grounding in how the human body works that will help you understand and handle body movement in general, which helps no matter what martial art you do. Being slammed around on mats and maybe eventually the ground a lot builds a little courage and toughens one up a bit, too.

I will say, though, that it's not nearly as easy for a tall man to shift the center of balance of a small man as it is for a small man to do it to a large man. Hip throws especially can be close to absurd when a large man tries to do them to a small man, especially one who is at all competent at maintaining his balance or countering. My ass had to practically touch the ground when squatting under some well-balanced shorter men to throw them. It really wasn't a productive thing to do.

I don't know much from Silat except that it has a lot of takedowns and extremely weird, low, twisted ground-fighting stances. Much of the rest of it looks very Karate-like. There are also a fair amount of weapons in it, including swords and single and double sticks and nunchaku. There are a few good books out about it that make interesting reads; one that came out in the 70's is a very good one, I think by Don Draeger or something like that. It's a style with a pretty good reputation.