View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Overpair to a monotone flop -- how\'s my river value bet look?

I think his range of hands is probably wider than you think. I find that I am often surprised by what tight, passive players will call a raise with (and once he has called the first one, he is calling the other two)

I this is because most of these players really are not very good, but they know that certain hands are junk. So they play the same hands without regard for postition, a raise in front of them, number of playes in the pot, etc.

For example, I had a table coach I was playing with yesterday call three cold with 53s. The was about 28% VIP and this was one of the hands he played. He doesn't understand the reasons why, he just know he plays this hand.

A similar instance is that a moderately tight player will open limp on the button or cutoff with moderate hands. They just know that they have a "calling hand" so that is what they do. Basically, these players are just playing their hand without much thought about anything else.

It is not that intuitive to many players that coldcalling is really bad. A player tight cannot have done much serious thinking about the game.