Thread: General AK play
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: General AK play

[ QUOTE ]
hey i read your last post on AK play. ive been having problems finishing 6-7 .. usually in level 4,5 when 6-7 players are still around.. on the button i push Kxs and up. and with 6 or 5 to act i'll push hands as weak as Q10s.. is this too weak?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that it's hard to come up with set rules because you have to factor in the looseness of the players that you're pushing into. If you are finishing 6th and 7th alot, my first instinct would be that you are getting antsy and pushing too soon with weak hands. (Maybe you're a little too loose early and lose a few chips so you feel like you need to make a move?)

Now, here I'm about to say something that maybe only applies to the 11s. Players on the 11s don't understand the gap concept. They see no difference calling an all-in with A8 or KT than pushing with it. I mean, they will gladly call off 90% of their stack with KT rather than folding and pushing into the next guy. For this reason, at the low levels, if I am in the CO for example, I would rather push with 78s than with Kxs. I know that I will get flamed for this, but I don't care. You have to think about their CALLING ranges. I would rather have the live cardedness (if that's a word) of 78s than the high cardedness of Kxs. I only mean this for times that you are desperate and pushing from earlier than the button. The better your position gets, the more the high cardedness works in your favor IMO. But I can't tell you the number of times, in one of those "nightmare" games when there are 8 people left in level 4 and nobody wants to make a move, that I have pushed a low to mid suited connector, doubled up to 1400-1500 and then it's smooth sailing. My screen name is easily remembered (It's not my 2+2 name)... some guy last week wrote in the chatbox after I did this and beat an AJ, "There you go again turning [censored] into roses." I asked him if I played with him before and he said yeah, I'm always pushing "bad cards" and getting lucky. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you PM me with some HHs, I'd be happy to look at them.... even though I'm sure that I'm about to be called an idiot! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]