View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Preflop hand selection for a tight-passive 2/4 game?

You and I obviously are playing in different universes.

Tight preflop = table will often fold to UTG or middle raise, meaning you are forced to limp AA and KK nearly always; one or two early limpers are no guarantee of attracting limpers behind them; about a fourth of the time only two or three players see the flop; etc.

Loose after the flop = even in unraised pots, most of these 2/4 players will call on the flop hoping to spike their lone Ace or King on the turn, catch a baby set on the turn, draw to their backdoor straight or flush, etc. This is absolutely regardless of pot odds.

I have NEVER seen a Paradise 2/4 game that "tightens up after the flop" to any appreciable degree. Yes, one or two players may fold on the flop with hands even they recognize as hopeless, but as I say, the majority will stick around with very few outs. That's a loose game, not a tight one. Also, in a truly tight game, semibluffs have a great deal of value and you can steal many small pots if you play well; but in Paradise 2/4, semibluffs have negative expectation as most of the players are calling stations with any pair, regardless of the board.