View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Help me set up my home game!

In limit, one rule of thumb is that a comfortable buy-in is about 25 big bets. So if you want to play 3-6, the buy-in should be $150; for 5-10 it should be $250. That sounds a little steep for most college students.

Take the advice of the other posters: start smaller. 1-2 would be a good place to start, but even $50 will seem like a lot to some. You might even want to start with $.50-1. A $25 buy-in might not seem like much to you or me, but to some, it's a bit steep for an evening's entertainment. (Just remind them that a night at the bar will surely cost more than $25!)

As for players, my experience is that once your game has a core of regulars (about 5), the regulars will start bringing other people in. Set a lower limit, invite a few people, and they'll either get hooked or not come back. All you need is a few enthusiasts, and the game will begin. My home game began with 3 people -- including myself -- who really wanted to play and a few friends who just thought they'd try it. We now have a serious core of about 10 who want to play every week, and another 6-8 who play every other week or so.

And, not to be a nit, but you do want to make sure and vet your players. Don't let someone become a regular unless the rest of the group feels comfortable with him. And make the rules crystal clear from the start -- seriously, print them out, post them, make sure everyone knows what they are. I've seen problems in even very low stakes games ($5 buy-in for crissakes!), so make it clear!

Good luck.