Thread: I have no balls
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003, 05:55 PM

Default Re: I have no balls

1) Increase buy in to $160.

Good Idea, for a number of reasons. Having more chips in front of you makes it easier for you not to be chip conscious. Having more chips in front of you makes you look more like you might be winning, whereas a short stack looks like someone to push around. Having enough chips in front of you to cap it on every street, lets you make the maximum amount of money if you flop a monster. When you buy in short, and $80 is slightly short, if you lose one or two hands, then you are suddenly playing a short stack, and you have to deal with the disadvantages of that. With a larger buyin, you won't feel your back against the wall, if you don't win the first hand you participate in.

2) Get some balls and see more hands to the end. (and raise along the way). Trust my skills and experience and know that I won't lose every hand.

Good things happen when you play more aggressively.

3) Continue to do this even if I lose two or three big hands in a row.

See #1 above.

4) Pray that I an good enough to come out ahead in the long run. My swings will be much bigger, right?

Don't worry about the swings, until the general trend is in the right direction. Post some of these hands, where you might have been chicken, and see if others think your caution was warranted. In some ways aggression might reduce your swings. Raising and eliminating some of the field, means that there are fewer players who can suck out on you. Raising frequently, and playing aggressively, means that your opponents will know that it will be expensive to go to the river with you. Both of these will reduce your variance.