Thread: starting hands
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003, 05:34 AM

Default starting hands

Low-Limit baffles me. Plain and simple. People out there, people that I have a great deal of respect for, argue that they would rather sit with idiots because they have a positive expectation over the course of their lives in these types of games. However, they frustrate me to no end because it is basically impossible to use deductive reasoning against them.
I find myself playing my hand in relation to the absolute nuts which means I lose bets when I win and fold too frequently because I have no information about their hands.
I don't believe that the starting hands listed in HEFAP are applicable to low-limit. I feel like if you are in a game when 5 people see a four-bet flop and the winner is the old homeless guy in seat 3 who played 9-4 from early postion some adjustments to strategy need to be made.
My proposal is playing suited connectors and all pairs. Who cares about position, just try to maximize pot odds and hope that when you hit, you hit big. I have not found any other concepts to apply to 4-8 games and even this one is only working marginally well.
Thanks for the suggestions
Nate