View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Can it be +EV to call a reraise when you know you are dominated?

Costs you $4.50 to call.

Pot is already $15
If you are confident he will call off the rest of his stack ($40) you are paying $4.50 to either fold on flop or win $55.

I think it's pretty close but if you are really sure of your read you can let it go with a clear conscience. I don't like the re-raise to 9.50 - it looks like he wants a call and thinks that psychologically you are more likely to call 9.50 than $10. If he wanted you to fold - if he had a big but vulnerable hand - I think he would have bet $10 here. It smells like AA to me.

That said I know a lot of players that would overdefend with any pair here..and if you put him on a monster pair like KK or QQ then your ace would be good 1/3 of the time.

I setted twice against pre-flop re-raisers last week on the $100 tables. Both times I had set over set against them and won their stacks. They had 33 and 77 (I had 77 and TT) and yet had reraised pre-flop to $7 and $9 respectively.

You are OOP though - and if you call him you are committed to betting an ace flop in effect - think I would fold and just chalk it up to bad luck that he had a big hand when you tried a steal