Thread: Overplayed?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Overplayed?

Super-loose 2/4 at Canterbury. Normally 6+ players to see the flop. Relatively passive - only 1 or 2 preflop raises per round. Some raising post-flop, but very little reraising or check-raising. The table is 10-handed (normally only 9) due to the 3rd anniversary promotion going on. I sat down 2 rounds ago and have won 2 hands without a showdown.

5 limpers to me in CO with A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . Thoughts of Sklansky's "Hold'Em Errors" post run through my head as I raise. Button calls, SB folds, BB and all limpers call. 8 to the flop for 16 sb.

Flop: T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

It's checked around to you. What's your plan for the rest of the hand?

What I think I should have done is check. The pot is so large that anyone with any piece of the flop can call my bet. It's unlikely to be raised, so they'll be getting anywhere from 17-1 to 23-1 on their call. I think I should check, then hope someone in a late position bets the turn so I can raise (regardless of what the card is), trying to knock out players and get a free showdown if I'm behind.

I think I took a very sub-optimal line - I bet. 5 callers. 6 to the turn for 22 sb.

Turn: 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, 3 callers, and now the player to my right (who seems to be a little more sane than the rest of the table) raises.

Now what do you do?