View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Using a big stack to gamble?

a big stack is not 1800. Thats a good stack but big stacks we are talking 3000+.

Now with a stack this size you can totally dominate the game once it gets down to 4. You can push so many hands with a monster stack as long as there is not a stack that can cripple you. Dont start pushing with this stack at least till level 5 either. To me pushing with the blinds small is dumb. No reason to risk so much of your stack for 75 or 150 chips. Say you had 4000 and the other 3 split the 4K in chips. You can pretty much steal with any ace, any pp, KQ, KJ, QJ. Just keep pushing. Nobody wants to finish 4th so you will only get called by a very strong hand. I play 3way with the big stack pretty much the same also.

I also do this a lot now. I try and look to figure out why someone did a certain thing. Say a small stack pushes and I have say AT. I will look at how much his stack is and ask myself if I was in his situation am I desperate to push any 2? If he pushes from UTG and the blinds are going up next hand AT to me is an autocall depending on position or a push to isolate the small stack. I( have made many calls like this to really help my stack in many of the tournaments I have been in lately. Most of you probably already do this but I figured I would share my thought.