View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: One more thing to consider

Shoot me if I missed this, but I don't think the original post specified the stakes.

The cash at risk will insinuate its way into our decision-making, too. If it's a small buyin, it may not seem enormously appealing to fold the turn or river on a borderline hand and then spend the next 45 minutes trying to grind one's way into third place. Push -- and life stays exciting. Maybe we gain a big enough stack to have some fun for the rest of the tournament. Or we're out. Then we can go hunt for a new game or have dinner with J Lo, or whatever.

That's not the most disciplined way to play poker, but when the decision is close -- which this one is -- and the stakes are modest, then time management enters into the picture.

At higher stakes, there's more reward for finding the very best play, even if it may mean sweating it out in short-stack land for a while.

Anyway, I assumed it was modest stakes and voted "Push." I think there's a 30% chance his raise is based on nothing but our perceived weakness. 70% chance he's got a Q or a flush.

And I'm expecting to get called.

Interesting hand. What's your read?