View Single Post
Old 04-08-2003, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Ciaffone and Game Theory

The comment "an opponent does not play by game theory" is in a lot of ways a poor statement. The better way to say it is you are going against an opponent that is not fully rational, or does not have full information. These are things that must be taken into consideration when making your decision. While I know it is a tautology and of very little use, everyone applys "game theory" to their decision process whether they know it or not. It is up to the person viewing the game to put in the paramters that the other player is using.

I'm no expert on game theory but this is not what I understood it to mean.

Not using game theory does not mean the player is not playing in a "rational" manner. It means he is playing in an exploitable manner.

There are times where proper play "by the book" becomes exploitable and hence no longer correct. I believe this is one of those sitiations. In my games, when I've raised preflop and bet the flop, then get raised on the turn means my opponent has a made hand 85% of the time, perhaps more.

Now against shrwed opponents who can take advantage of me wanting to lay down to the turn raise I have to call them down a fair percentage of the time. Here I can use game theory to provide me with a sufficiently random event to control my fold/call decision so my play is not predictable.

Mason, did I get that right?

-Scott