View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Residential Rentals - Any HUD Section 8 Experience?

payments from the housing authority do come regularly, getting the tenant portion of the rent is sometimes difficult. Length of tenancy can be a plus if they're good tenants, a nightmare if they're bad.(it is next to impossible to evict sect 8 tenants). I've had 3 different sect 8's. One family is the best tenants I've ever had, one is the worst and thankfully gone, and the third is quiet, respectful, but feuses to pay the rent until the last week of every month. An idea for you might be to go to the local housing authority, mention you might be interested in accepting sect 8, but have heard horror stories, yada, yada. Let them sell you on the idea, although they're not supposed to, the housing authority might recommend a good family that will respect your place. Even with a housing authority rec, you still have to screen potentials, the couple hours you spend could save you lots of headaches. I've never had a problem with the inspections, they usually point out minor problems and give you a couple of months to fix them